YOUR ACTION PLAN
OK. Now what? These are the steps I went through in order to start planning how we would survive the many potentially upcoming crises. Such as: the end of the Mayan calendar in December 2012; Global warming and the resultant increase in temperatures likely across the United States precipitating higher electricity bills for everyone; the presidential election; the decrease in Social Security planned for January 2013 and 2014; increased food costs, and decreased food availability.
- I started with a careful look, with my wife's permission of course, at the way we store food, where we store it and how much we store.
- Budget. I keep a detailed monthly budget of income and expense. Then I made a copy of the budget and developed a projection for the next 18 months to show what will happen to our household cash flow based upon the decreases in Social Security benefits, the increases in Medicare costs, and the constant increase in the cost of food and other necessities. Conclusion - just like Uncle Sam I need to earn more and spend less!!
- We obviously needed more storage space. I purchased a chrome wire shelf unit from globalindustrial.com for about $200.00 delivered, assembled it and installed it in our pantry. Then had a vigorous "discussion" with my wife regarding what goes where.
- Reliable reserve food supply. After much web surfing and product review I selected GOFoods as my vendor and signed up to be an Independent Business Owner with them. I get great pricing and now have a home based business I can grow. I invite you to check out my website at www.seniorsid.mygofoods.com.
- Water Supply. Absolutely essential. I found a 50 gallon, non-toxic water barrel and hand pump at www.costco.com. Delivered price was $119.00. I filled it up from my garden hose and now have 3 days of simple water storage on hand.