YOUR EMERGENCY STORED WATER SUPPLY
The Barrel(s) in your garage
- I purchased this 55 gallon barrel, pump and filter from www.Costco.com. Price approx. $120.00 delivered via UPS.
- The water jug is an empty milk carton from the local market.
- The barrel is stored close to the door to facilitate recharging via the garden hose.
- How many barrels do you need should lose your water supply?
- I calculated we need 5 gallons/day for tea/coffee and cooking and ..
- Toilet flushing 5 gallons/day and ..
- "Showers" maybe 10 gallons/day.
- So you can see that 1 barrel might be good for 3 to 5 days depending on how frugal, (or dry), you are willing to be.
- Some feed stores also sell similar barrels, at around $95.00, so I suggest you shop around but make sure you get the human friendly plastic.
- Once I have filled the barrel I then add about half a cup of bleach just to kill any bugs that may accumulate.
- I drain flush and refill the barrel once every six months.